4.08.2012

Shhhh...Don't Cause a Scandal

Olivia Pope, Problem-Solver
So I downloaded the free pilot of Scandal (2012) from iTunes starring the beautiful Kerry Washington as "Olivia Pope."  Helmed by Shonda Rhimes of Grey's Anatomy infamy, the pilot was also written by Rhimes and was a fairly decent opening effort, though I would've liked to see more POC on the show.

I never really thought of Kerry Washington as a leading lady, but this show proves she has it in her.  She can't take a bad picture.  And this is an interesting angle where crime and politics (like there's even a difference) are concerned.

But as some will point out, this show might not have a long shelf life.  It really is all about this Black woman.  She is the boss.  She is the intended babe of the show.  Lesser attractive white women were cast deliberately alongside her, and there's no attempt to hide it.

So if it makes it through to the end of the first season, it will be a straight-up miracle.








Soooooo not surprised the President's her ex.  Saw that
coming a mile away.  Hell, I knew it from the previews last fall.

What did she expect?  He's married!!!  And she just smiled
and hugged his wife like it wasn't no thang!!!

17 comments:

  1. I don't want to goat-mouth this, because I really hope the show both lasts a long time, and keeps its momentum. Knowing H-Wood's track record, though? I'm crossing my fingers and toes.

    Brace yourself for the "I Hate Olivia Pope" fan fictions, though. You know THAT'S coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the petitions to have her killed off a show that's all about her.

      Delete
  2. I watched both episodes. Overall, I'm interested in seeing more. I did not see the Olivia/President connection coming, and I'm curious to see how far they take it. I thought the pace of the dialogue was a bit challenging to follow. Seems to be a trend in some of these dramas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too am curious to see how this plays out, though I'm not sure this show will last past the first season. Not because it's bad, but because...well, you know.

      You really didn't see the Olivia/Prez thing from the get?

      Delete
    2. I don't have TV so I never saw any previews of the show. I just heard of Scandal last week from Lipstick Alley and decided to check it out.

      Delete
  3. Prez looks ugly from the side. I foresee problems. *sigh* I doubt if it makes it through the season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amaya...*rubs temples*...boo-boo....

      You're going to be the death of me. You know that right?

      Delete
    2. Yeah, the president could have been a little tastier looking, being this is TV and all. At least he's not hella old.

      Delete
    3. @All

      Okay, it's not just me that thinks that they could have gotten a better-looking actor to play the president. I mean, he's not ugly or anything like that, but I'm just not feeling him at all. I'm not seeing a natural charm there that would make Olivia so ga-ga over him. I see why she's got him whipped, but I can't figure out the reverse. Maybe we'll find out later in the season.

      Delete
  4. I watched the first two and I really enjoyed them. I'm doing something that I only reserve for Eureka...watching it live. I hope it makes it, I really do, but experience has taught me to not hold my breath.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think he looks good enough that it gives the white women a rash to watch him chase Kerri Washington.

    You know that do not like seeing men that they would get with chase a black woman instead of them.

    I expect to see LOTS of criticism about her being ugly and manly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Already, I'm seeing the "she's annoying" comments.

      Delete
    2. @Ankh

      Not surprised. I'm actually more surprised that it took two weeks.

      Delete
    3. LOL - me too. I thought we'd be getting those comments back when all we had were previews.

      Delete
  6. Hey! First of all I would like to remark that you sure succeeded in building a cool resource. In addition to that I want to ask you a question which is so exciting for me. Do you consider the option to write professionally or having a blog is only a kind of hobby of yours?

    ReplyDelete

This place is exactly what it says on the tin - the Black Girls Club. Read that like you need to.

DO NOT POST AS ANONYMOUS.